After the data has been collected on how the website performs – your device, network and other variables are taken into account. These are the following dimensions:
- Effective Connection Type – your connection type/speed (slow-2g, 2g, 3g, 4g or offline).
- Device Type – phone, tablet or desktop.
Data is then formatted in a readable way and will give a result such as: 13.6% of page loads had first paint time measurement range of 1000-1200 ms when loading [website] on [device] over 4g connections.
This data is compared to all pages monitored by CrUX reports and then assigned a category.
- Fast – fastest 33% of websites
- Average – average 33% of websites
- Slow – slowest 33% of websites
After your performance has been determined, Google will evaluate the results and provide suggestions on areas where you can improve. These suggestions are based of the best practices for web development.
- Avoid landing page redirects – delays page rendering by telling crawlers to go to different URLs before loading the page content.
- Enable compression – HTTP requests can be compressed (e.g. with gzip) to reduce sizes and download times.
- Improve server response time – servers can slow your load time, avoid this warning by staying under 200ms.
- Leverage browser caching – used for recycling the resources pulled from servers, determining a caching policy reduces load time.
- Minify resources – remove unnecessary or redundant data from CSS, HTML and JS files.
- Optimize images – images can look the same but be saved at a much smaller size, you can also do this through vector images or sprites.
- Optimize CSS Delivery – browsers block rendering until the CSS has been loaded, make sure you don’t have unnecessary external stylesheets.
- Prioritize visible content – above the fold content should be prioritised and have a low data cost (ideally under 14.6kb compressed).
Scores are calculated from 0 – 100 the areas where you can improve your website will be specified.
- Good – most of the best practices have been met, 80+.
- Medium – there are areas of improvements, 60 – 70.
- Low – there are a lot of areas of improvement, 0 – 59.
These insights are clear steps on how you can improve your website, fixing these issues can improve your SEO.